OVAASA Awards Banquet
In 2019 the 10 Annual OVAASA (Ohio Valley African American Students Association) Awards Banquet was held. We recognized 31 seniors throughout the Ohio Valley. The Keynote Speaker was Demetrius Baldwin-Youngblood, faculty member & coach at The Linsly School. Besides the students recognized for their academic accomplishments, one current African American Educator was honored with the Wanda C. Brown Award for Educator of the Year. The recipient was Mr. Brian Walker. One retired African American Educator was honored with the Burial ``Bo' Holmes Award. The recipient was Mrs. Edith Fuller. The Michael Green Memorial Award for the student who achieved Academic success despite overcoming extreme adversity was Donovan Goddard. Also, our OVAASA Phoenix Award for Academic Achievement from a Non-traditional Student was Ms. Kiesha Phillips. Schools are currently nominating students for the 2022 Awards.
2019 Scholarship Winners
- Ohio University Eastern Merit Scholarship: Sheldon Lekanudos
- WVNCC OVAASA Scholarship: Barak D. Lear II
- WVNCC OVAASA Scholarship: Jamaiah Hairston
- Wheeling Jesuit OVAASA Scholarship: Nyree’Anna Bledsoe
- Tito’s Sloppy Dogg Culinary Arts Scholarship: Dallon Jones
- Helping Hand/Listening Ear Psychology Scholarship: Ariana Hickman
- Helping Hand/Listening Ear Psychology Scholarship: Kyla Leigh
- The Timothy Midget “Know Thyself” Artistic Scholarship: Jordan Spears
- Daugherty Foundation Scholarship: TeVon Minor
- Ronald Scott Sr. Armed Forces Scholarship: Donovan Goddard
- Daugherty Foundation Scholarship: Neveah Lekanudos
- Daugherty Foundation Scholarship: De’Vaughn Mcwhorter
- Stradwick Family Scholarship: Nathaniel Blakely
- Stradwick Family Scholarship: Haley Brown
Helping Since 1906
MORE YWCA WHEELING PROGRAMS
The YWCA Wheeling is on a Mission to eliminate racism, empower women and promote peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all.
Survivors of Trafficking Empowerment Program (STEP)
Family Violence Prevention Program (FVPP)
Young Women's Christian Associates of Wheeling Makes a Difference
This is where I came a few years ago with my two small girls to escape a truly abusive, dangerous situation. I credit the YWCA with giving me my life back
YWCA is a blessing to many women near and far. I personally needed help after being in a violent relationship. The staff were so compassionate and helpful, which helped me heal and get back on my feet. The YWCA is and always will be a temple of healing for women in Wheeling.
The YWCA Wheeling provides critical resources to the Ohio Valley and incredible programming created to empower and engage! Top notch leadership too.
Amazing women doing amazing things!
Very safe. The staff are angels.
Make an Impact in the Ohio Valley
Thanks for your interest in joining us on our mission to eliminate racism and empower women! Your voice matters as we stand up for social justice, help families and strengthen communities. Whether you have five minutes, or can commit five hours of your time, learn how you can plug in to the YWCA community.
Have a question? Get in contact with YWCA Wheeling.